Parent Update: Return to In-Person Classes on Jan 10th
On Wednesday, January 5th the Alberta Government confirmed that in-person classes would restart on January 10th. With the classes resuming next week, Prairie Rose Public Schools is prepared to welcome back students using enhanced cleaning and health practices such as masking for grades 4-12 (and all adults), cohorting when possible, and enhanced cleaning practices.
To supplement our current efforts, the government will begin distributing medical grade masks and testing kits to each student and staff member. The school division has been told that we can expect to start seeing shipments of these items as early as Friday, January 7th, although there is no guarantee they will arrive by the start of classes next week. Once schools receive the materials they will be sent home with students. The use of the medical masks and testing kits is optional and can be used at the discretion and guidance of parents. A video has been created with instructions on how to use the testing kits for those who wish to use them.
Other important information:
- All individuals are still required to review the Student Illness Guide with their child each day before coming to school. If your child shows any signs of illness, parents will be contacted to pick up their child from school. It is anticipated there will be new changes to the daily checklist, but currently we ask families to follow the same process as prior to the winter break when determining if their child is well enough to attend school. Over the break the government also announced changes to the isolation and quarantine timelines. Please take a moment to review the new changes.
- Based on current health data, there will likely be a high number of student and staff absences in the coming weeks due to the rising number of Omicron COVID-19 cases within communities. Should this happen in Prairie Rose, it may be necessary to move a class or classes to online learning for a short period of time. Online learning will only be used as a last resort when it is not possible to offer in-person learning.
- It is our hope that extra curricular activities (including sports programs) will continue as planned. We have not received official confirmation regarding extra curricular and expect more information related to the continuation of these programs in the next few days.
- It is expected that the government will be making several changes to their K-12 school guidance documents. Currently, we do not have additional information related to what these may be, including contact tracing practices. Once we have more information this will be shared with families.
- For high school students only: Diploma exams have been cancelled for January. Prairie Rose has also made the decision to cancel exam week, which means there will be no final exams for any high school students. Classes will run for all high school students up to and including January 26th. Students will be off on January 27th and January 28th (SI Day). Second semester will begin on January 31st.
We understand that families may have additional questions. We continue to ask for your patience as we amend our guidelines based on new information from the province. Please watch your email over the weekend, as it is likely you may receive another update from us with these details. As always, we appreciate your cooperation and patience as we navigate the uncertainty of the pandemic and look forward to a return to in-person learning next week.
Superintendent of Schools
Prairie Rose Public Schools